[Samba] Joining xp client to samba nt4 domain problem

Bill Uhl bill at greenlightnet.com
Wed Nov 29 17:41:00 GMT 2006

Hi,

I am trying to join xp clients to an NT4 style domain based on a samba
server. The join appears to work and the welcome message pops up. Upon
restarting the client, I am not able to log in using domain accounts.
When I log in as the local admin, I find that the domain account groups
have not been added to the local groups. Once I add the domain accounts
manually, everything seems to work fine.

Prior experience was that the groups were added automatically as part of
the joining the domain process. After skimming back through the
documentation and googling the problem, I still have no idea where to
look next.

Bill Uhl
GreenLight Networks, LLC

The server is running fedora core 5 with the following samba rpms:
samba-common-3.0.23c-1.fc5
samba-3.0.23c-1.fc5
system-config-samba-1.2.34-1
samba-client-3.0.23c-1.fc5

The smb.conf follows:
[global]
       workgroup = PEG
       server string = PEG File Server
       passdb backend = tdbsam
       passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd "%u"
       username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
       unix password sync = Yes
       log level = 1
       log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
       max log size = 1024
       time server = Yes
       add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m "%u"
       delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r "%u"
       add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd "%g"
       delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel "%g"
       add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G -a "%g" "%u"
       add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -n -g machines -c Machine
-d /dev/null -s /bin/false "%u"
       logon script = scripts\%U.bat
       logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U\profile
       logon drive = U:
       logon home = \\%N\profiles\%U\home
       domain logons = Yes
       os level = 64
       preferred master = Yes
       domain master = Yes
       dns proxy = No
       ldap ssl = no
       create mask = 0660
       force create mode = 0660
       directory mask = 02770
       force directory mode = 02770
       hosts allow = 192.168.25., 192.168.6., EXCEPT, 192.168.6.1

[fsroot]
       comment = Server FS root
       path = /
       valid users = +fsroot