[Samba] Disconnected network drive

Tom Peters tpeters at mixcom.com
Wed Nov 29 01:09:35 GMT 2006

At 06:30 PM 11/28/2006 -0500, Paul Abrahams wrote:
>I have a couple of Linux directories that are being exported via Samba
>running
>under SuSE 10.0.  On the Windows side, each of them is assigned a (mapped)

Me too, only mine is SuSE 9.3

>drive letter.  In the "My Computer" list they initially show up as
>"Disconnected Network Drive".

Mine too.

>If I attempt to access a file within one of
>them, the access fails with an indication that the drive does not exist.

Not mine. Sometimes they change from "Disconnected network drive" to
"Network drive" upon access, sometimes they don't. But I never get errors.
They are always accessible.

>(For example, if the drive letter is H:, doing "H:" from a C> prompt gives
>that message.)   However, if in Windows I click on the drive, I get to see
>its contents and the status changes to "Network Drive".  At that point the
>drive contents become available to my Windows applications.

Put a new shortcut in your startup menu on the Winders machine. Make the
command line consist of F: where F: is a drive letter of the Samba
drive.  After you create the shortcut, right click it again and choose
properties. Select "minimized" instead of "normal window" on the "shortcut"
tab. When you get around to it after bootup/login, close the minimized
window this shortcut opens.

>I get this behavior on three different machines, all running Windows XP.  In
>the Windows drive mapping, I've checked the "Reconnect at Logon" box, but
>that makes no difference.

I always specify reconnect at Logon. But the username and password on the
Winders machine are exactly the same as the samba username/password (I
don't use a PDC) and before I made that change, I had similar problems.

>I'm guessing that the problem is on the Linux side since each Windows machine
>can access exported directories from other Windows machines without any
>difficulty.  It's only the drives exported from Linux that have the problem.

[Philosophy] Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it,
doesn't go away. --Phillip K. Dick, 1928-1982
tpeters at nospam.mixcom.com   (remove "nospam") N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting)  WEB ADDRESS http//www.mixweb.com/tpeters
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W,  Elevation 815',  Grid Square EN53wc
WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, CCNA, Registered Linux User 385531