[Samba] what OS do you use for Samba?

Chris Smith smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Mon Nov 27 16:13:18 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 13:49, James A. Dinkel wrote:
> I like that there is a deb repo for Debian from samba.org, but
> I'm more comfortable with CentOS (Redhat).  I just want to be sure I
> have a well supported Samba server and I need at least the 3.0.20
> version so I can use the "inherit owner" property.  I also want
> automatic updates for bugfixes and security (not to concerned about new
> features though).  Any insight?

I use Gentoo Linux for the flexibility.
Which OS is probably less important than the level that you learn to work with
it. When you are very comfortable with an OS a level of freedom exists beyond
what the packagers may provide.
Notice that many times there's a big difference in what a distro labels
as "stable" and what the app developers labels as "stable". A new Samba is
released with this phrase: "This is the latest stable release of Samba. This
is the version that production Samba servers should be running for all
current bug-fixes." Distros that don't update key packages until the next
release may put some functionality in jeopardy. Since Samba is, at times,
chasing Microsoft updates (which tend to break things) it's fairly imperitive
to remain current if it's a critical package for you; such as when it is the
PDC for your entire network.
The most critical packages for my customers are Samba and Cups, and since the
client systems all run Windows I find it important to keep up to date with
these packages in order to provide them with the fewest problems and the most
features, creating a seamless environment where everything just works and
they're not presented with problems that call attention to the fact that
their server is not running Windows.
Since I'm comfortable with the Gentoo packaging system I'm not tied down, in
most cases, to the release timing from the Gentoo devs; I can create my own
ebuild and install the latest release (plus patches when necessary) when it
becomes available. The nice thing here is that I get both customization and
use of the distros packaging system, as opposed to compiling and installing
outside of the packaging system which I've found in the past to be generally
less than desirable. As an example, due to the temporary hiatus of the
Gentoo's Samba dev the "official" ebuild is a bit out of date, but that
doesn't prevent me from running the latest release. Plus the ebuild is really
available to all as it's posted on a bug report.
If I decided to change to a binary distro at this point I would most surely
learn how to build packages for it in order to not be tied down to the
distros package release timetable.
If you just want easy pre-built binary installs than pick a distro that
releases your needed critical packages on a timely basis, or one in which the
application devs release binaries for. For Samba I think Redhat/Fedora is
probably the choice as the Samba team seems to always make those available
close to the same time as source. Although the Debian and Ubuntu Samba
releases are currently timely it hasn't always been that way.

Chris