[Samba] what OS do you use for Samba?

Marcello Romani mromani at ottotecnica.com
Mon Nov 27 14:10:09 GMT 2006

James A. Dinkel ha scritto:
> I'm trying to decide on a linux distro to use for our enterprise Samba
> server.  I like that there is a deb repo for Debian from samba.org, but
> I'm more comfortable with CentOS (Redhat).  I just want to be sure I
> have a well supported Samba server and I need at least the 3.0.20
> version so I can use the "inherit owner" property.  I also want
> automatic updates for bugfixes and security (not to concerned about new
> features though).  Any insight?
>
> James Dinkel

We are using Gentoo Linux on a custom made P-IV-based raid1 scsi box.

Currently, gentoo offers 3.0.22-r3

Gentoo portage is technically very different from rpm, but once you get
used to it, it's just as simple (IMHO even simpler wrt package
dependencies).

It basically comes down to:

emerge --sync		# to get the latest version
emerge samba		# dowload, compile and install
rc-update add samba default	# start samba at boot

Configuration is just standard smb.conf editing (or webmin, if installed).

Just my 2 (euro)cents.

--
Marcello Romani
Responsabile IT