[Samba] starting Samba and removing PCNetlink

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel felipe at paranacidade.org.br
Mon Nov 27 15:46:58 GMT 2006

On 11/26/2006 05:27 PM, Mary Couture escreveu:
> I have a Sun Clutster running on two Sun Fire 4800s, OS is Solaris 9.
> The environment was set up with PC Netlink prior to my arrival.  On Nov
> 24 after work I shutdown PC Netlink on both systems and started Samba.
> However from the windows side we can only see one Sun box and the one
> sun development box that I tested on prior to this weekend.  The other
> production system can't be seen from windows.  The access is wide open
> and the shares are set up the same.
>
> Here is a sample of the smb.conf file running on the box that works
> great
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
> 	workgroup = RAD
> 	netbios name = REC2
> 	security = SHARE
>         hosts allow = xxx.xxx.xxx. xxx.xxx.xxx. xxx.xxx.xxx
>         load printers = yes
>         max log size = 50
>         log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
>         passdb backend = tdsam
>         socket options = TCP_NODELAY
>         local master = no
>         os level = 33
>         domain master = no
>         wins support = yes
>         wins proxy = yes
>         dns proxy = no
[...]

> And here is a copy of the smb.conf from the host not working......
> # Global Parameters
> [global]
>         workgroup = RAD
>                netbios name = REC1
>                security = SHARE
>         hosts allow = xxx.xxx.xxx. xxx.xxx.xxx. xxx.xxx.xxx.
>                load printers = yes
>                max log size = 50
>                log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
> #               passdb backend = tdsam
>                socket options = TCP_NODELAY
>                local master = no
>                os level = 33
>                domain master = no
>  wins support = yes
>         wins proxy = no
>                dns proxy = no

[...]
> Everything is the same on both machines.

	And that should be the problem. :-)

wins support (G)
       This  boolean  controls if the nmbd(8) process in Samba will act
       as a WINS server. You should not set this to yes unless you have
       a  multi-subnetted  network and you wish a particular nmbd to be
       your WINS server. Note that you should NEVER set this to yes  on
       more than one machine in your network.

       Default: wins support = no

> This is the error message I get when I go into the workgroup on the
> windows side and select the host that is listed from  the Samba
> dameons.
>
> \\Rec1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
> if you have access permissions.
>

> Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is
> correct and the destination computer is not busy or turned off.  If
> windows still cannot find the network path, contact your network
> administrator.
>

> I have verified the paths and permissions and the computer is running.
> Does any one have a suggestion for me?

	Try to fix the 'wins support' parameter.

	Kind regards,

- --