[Samba] Files mysteriously are limited around 2GB

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Fri Nov 24 18:15:31 GMT 2006

All technologies involved I have well tested, just that I have not assembled them together in this combination before WITH THE EXCEPTION OF SMBFS.

Debian Sarge OS
Kernel 2.6.12-1-k7
Samba from samba.org 3.0.23d

Backing up to a USB2 attached 500GB drive, formatted NTFS, on Win2K SP4.

Mount the share using SMBFS, then proceed to backup using XFSDump as I run on XFS FS.

Below is the output of one XFSDump command:

/usr/sbin/xfsdump: using file dump (drive_simple) strategy
/usr/sbin/xfsdump: version 2.2.27 (dump format 3.0) - Running single-threaded
/usr/sbin/xfsdump: level 0 dump of ldslnx01:/srv
/usr/sbin/xfsdump: dump date: Fri Nov 24 12:09:53 2006
/usr/sbin/xfsdump: session id: 982a8b46-4fe5-40c3-afc2-4a997e9c5d50
/usr/sbin/xfsdump: session label: "data"
/usr/sbin/xfsdump: ino map phase 1: parsing subtree selections
/usr/sbin/xfsdump: ino map phase 2: constructing initial dump list
/usr/sbin/xfsdump: ino map phase 3: pruning unneeded subtrees
/usr/sbin/xfsdump: ino map phase 4: estimating dump size
/usr/sbin/xfsdump: ino map phase 5: skipping (only one dump stream)
/usr/sbin/xfsdump: ino map construction complete
/usr/sbin/xfsdump: estimated dump size: 40211226560 bytes
/usr/sbin/xfsdump: WARNING: no media label specified
/usr/sbin/xfsdump: creating dump session media file 0 (media 0, file 0)
/usr/sbin/xfsdump: dumping ino map
/usr/sbin/xfsdump: dumping directories
/usr/sbin/xfsdump: dumping non-directory files
/usr/sbin/xfsdump: ending media file
/usr/sbin/xfsdump: media file size 2147483647 bytes
/usr/sbin/xfsdump: dump size (non-dir files) : 2130861096 bytes
/usr/sbin/xfsdump: NOTE: dump interrupted: 609 seconds elapsed: may resume later using -R option
/usr/sbin/xfsdump: Dump Status: INTERRUPT

According to XFSDump, this backup should be around 40GB. The share actually has 55GB of data on it, according to Windows Explorer.

Taking a shot in the dark that Samba might be the culprit as I have not relied on SMBFS for large file transfers before. All other technologies involved I have successfully created large (>2GB)
backups before.

I would have rather dropped the USB2/FireWire card in the Linux server, but Debian Sarge failed to come up with the card installed... this this round-about way of backing up.

Suggestions?

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems