[Samba] PDC/BDC problem - clients not authenticating against BDC

ryan punt rpunt at good-sam.com
Fri Nov 24 15:49:14 GMT 2006

Adrian,

Yes, I'm using LDAP for a backend. Both the PDC and BDC are using the same LDAP server, as my test environment only has one installed.

I've verified the the SIDs are the same, and they'll both authenticate the same users from smbclient.

The only differences between the two smb.conf files:

rpunt at rpunt:~/documents/Samba3/backup$ diff pdc.smb.conf bdc.smb.conf
3,4c3,4
<       netbios name = GSS-PDC
<       server string = Samba 3 PDC
---
>       netbios name = GSS-BDC
>       server string = Samba 3 BDC
13c13
<       os level = 255
---
>       os level = 200
15,16c15,16
<       domain master = yes
<       preferred master = yes
---
>       domain master = no
>       preferred master = no
18c18
<       wins support = yes
---
>       wins server = 172.21.24.5 # test-pdc's IP address

The same SID is returned for both machine and domain queries on the PDC and BDC:

test-pdc:~# net getlocalsid GSS
SID for domain GSS is: S-1-5-21-1079125125-2089603153-XXXXXXXX
test-pdc:~# net getlocalsid
SID for domain GSS-PDC is: S-1-5-21-1079125125-2089603153-XXXXXXXX

test-bdc:~# net getlocalsid GSS
SID for domain GSS is: S-1-5-21-1079125125-2089603153-XXXXXXXX
test-bdc:~# net getlocalsid
SID for domain GSS-BDC is: S-1-5-21-1079125125-2089603153-XXXXXXXX

>>> "Adrian A. Sender" <adrians at tinistuffhosting.com> 11/22/2006 7:26:56 AM >>>
Hello Ryan,

As you are using PDC / BDC you are using LDAP arnt you?

You have not provided much information, so its very hard to know where to even start.

Assuming that users are been replicated to the BDC via LDAP slurpd, you may want to
check the following;

"net getlocalsid" on the PDC
Verify that this matches the BDC "net getlocalsid" ..
If not on the BDC "net setlocalsid S-1-5-21-x-y-z"

Failing this remove your ldap database on the BDC (backup first)

"slapcat -v -l transfer.ldif" on PDC
Copy to BDC

rm -rf /var/lib/ldap/*
On BDC

"slapadd -v -l transfer.ldif on BDC"

All this is clearly explained in the documentation available on the samba web site.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers,

Adrian Sender