[Samba] Machine trust relationship failed

Mr. Demeanour mrdemeanour at jackpot.uk.net
Tue Nov 21 17:49:08 GMT 2006

Mr. Demeanour wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having trouble joining a Win2K machine to a Samba domain.
>
> The Win2K machine is patched and up-to-date.

Hmmm - nobody wants to bite on this. I guess my post didn't include the
kind of clues that might cause knowledgeable people's ears to prick up.

Some people seem to post their entire smb.conf, but I've refrained from
doing that because I doubt it would enlighten anyone. I wonder what kind
of diagnostic output might generate a response?

Part of the point of posting a question to a list like this, IME, is
that composing the post entails answering a bunch of questions whose
answers might actually clear up the problem; but in this case that
didn't happen, unfortunately. I've tried two different Win2K Pro
machines, and both of them joined the domain happily enough - and
neither will allow me to add domain users.

I believe the process of joining a domain involves the joined
workstation negotiating and setting a new password on the machine trust
account; I've seen no evidence of this having happened, and this is why
I think that despite appearances, the join has really failed.

Can anyone suggest a procedure for debugging this problem?

In the absence of suggestions here, I think I may have to build a new
PDC machine from scratch, using a passwd backend, and try to migrate to
LDAP from that position - assuming I can get that working. But since I
can't see what's wrong with my existing Samba setup, I can't see why
that procedure should work; it feels rather like pushing buttons
randomly, not at all like a proper diagnostic procedure.