[Samba] PDC/BDC problem - clients not authenticating against BDC

ryan punt rpunt at good-sam.com
Tue Nov 21 15:17:41 GMT 2006

Hey list,

I've got a problem with my PDC/BDC setup. They're both running 3.0.23c on Sarge, and I've verified that both the PDC and BDC will authenticate users.

test-pdc:/etc/samba# testparm
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC

test-bdc:/var/log/samba# testparm
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_BDC

My PDC is also my WINS server, and I've verified that XP clients on other subnets see two "DOMAIN#1c" records.

The problem I'm having is this: When SMBD on the PDC stops, XP clients will no longer authenticate; the specific error is "the system cannot log you on now because the domain GSS is not available." NMBD is still running, and XP clients still see 2 "#1c" records.

How can I ensure that XP clients will authenticate against the BDC if the PDC is unavailable?

Thanks,
Ryan