[ARKSPAM] Re: Re: [Samba] Samba 3.0.14 (Debian Sarge) Memory Leakage

Dirk Becker dirk.becker at symeo.com
Mon Nov 20 12:41:13 GMT 2006

Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 06:43:42PM +0100, it wrote:
>> I have the same problem.
>> We are using version 3.0.14a under Debian Sarge
>> and after installing a local printer/fax HP LaserJet 3050,
>> the memory server is allocated to the user session until reaches 100%.
>> I don't know how to avoid it.
>
> Install a different printer driver... I'm not the
> authoritative source here, but I've seen posts passed on
> this list where even MS servers have trouble with certain
> printer drivers. To make 100% sure it's a driver problem, we
> would need a debug level 10 log of a smbd chewing memory.
> This log is going to be huge, so you should put it on some
> place where we can download it.
>
> Volker

Since my upgrade to 3.0.23c the mentioned problems seem to be gone.
Nevertheless I will remove samba printers and stop cups support on the
misbehaving server as we do not depend on this service. I will then go
back to 3.0.14 and see if the problem persists.
Unfortunately I cannot let samba run under valgrind on this server
because it is a production system. Perhaps I can try to produce the
memory leakage on a test system.

Thanx for helping so far

Dirk