[Samba] can't join samba to win2k3 domain - please help

Elvar elvar at ooz.net
Sun Nov 19 04:44:20 GMT 2006

Thanks to Senthil Kumar Ramamurthy I was able to get my joining of the
samba server to Win2k3 domain fixed. He worked with me via email off the
list and it turned out my problem was the order in which I had entries
in the /etc/hosts file. The freebsd hosts file by default uses the
format of 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx   alias    FQDN' which DOES NOT WORK with
samba when joining to a win2k3 domain. Samba requires host entries which
are relevant to the KDC etc to be in the format 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
FQDN    alias'. So, I hope this helps some others out there.

Again, a big thanks to Senthil Kumar Ramamurthy for his help and patience!