[Samba] "I have no name!" shown as username

Chris Smith smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Fri Nov 17 21:06:11 GMT 2006

On Friday 17 November 2006 12:55, Chris Smith wrote:
> To follow up on this question, I have noticed that Gentoo's Samba startup
> scripts (the original poster is running Gentoo) do not properly stop
> winbind. So simple doing "/etc/init.d/samba restart" after upgrading could
> possibly cause problems. Do a "/etc/init.d/samba stop", then manually kill
> the winbindd processes, followed by a start.

After so more research it seems that this is only the case when winbind is
running in "netlogon proxy only" mode (from the winbind logs). And it's not
an issue with the script as starting winbind manually and stopping it
manually results in the same problem. Two winbindd processes start and the
second one needs SIGKILL to kill it. With a normal start (not "proxy only"
mode) this is not the case. Can anyone dup these results?

Chris