[Samba] unix group membership -- broken in 3.0.23c?

Fri Nov 17 13:04:32 GMT 2006

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 01:22:27PM +0100, Dmitry Karasik wrote:
> Actually, this new behavior is very much puzzling to me. I'd love to
> contribute, but my only better wording would be like "this what you've just
> read doesn't work without the 'Unix Group\' prefix, because of reasons
> unknown".  Moreover I'm not at all sure that this is the intended behavior, so
> I'm kind of not persuaded that this is still not a bug in lookup_name(), which
> is not unable to look straight in /etc/group without looking in network groups
> first.

If you want to _only_ look in /etc/group then you have to
prefix "Unix Group". The change is deliberate and will not
be taken back. You are right that the documentation in
"invalid users" is misleading and wrong here, we need to
work on that.

I've seen your bug report.

Question: Would you want to rewrite the section for "invalid
users"? The developers on this list here will certainly help
with questions you have and proof-read your suggestions :-)

Volker