[Samba] unix group membership -- broken in 3.0.23c?

Dmitry Karasik dmitry at karasik.eu.org
Fri Nov 17 12:22:27 GMT 2006

> > I agree that it might not be a bug in the source, but that then one in
> > documentation then? I didn't proofread 'man smb.conf' but it seems also
> > affected.
> Feel free to suggest a better wording :-)

Actually, this new behavior is very much puzzling to me. I'd love to
contribute, but my only better wording would be like "this what you've just
read doesn't work without the 'Unix Group\' prefix, because of reasons
unknown".  Moreover I'm not at all sure that this is the intended behavior, so
I'm kind of not persuaded that this is still not a bug in lookup_name(), which
is not unable to look straight in /etc/group without looking in network groups
first.

Also there is indeed an inconcictency in man.smb in section about 'invalid users':
there's to mention of anything remotely names 'Unix Group'. Moreover, this string
is not mentioned there at all, and text about '+' prefix insists that it looks
in local unix group.

--
Sincerely,
	Dmitry Karasik