[Samba] Samba 3 and Windows 2003 Active Directory

Aaron Kincer kincera at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 04:53:24 GMT 2006

If you do not absolutely have to use Red Hat, I can give you a quick and
easy way to get where you need to be:

0) Backup all files to a stable temporary repository or the backup media of
your choice.

1) Download and install Ubuntu 6.06 Server Dapper (I haven't tried 6.10 Edgy
yet)

2) Follow these instructions:

3) Configure your shares either by hand or use SWAT

4) Copy your files form your repository or restore them from media to the
corresponding shares on your server.

5) If your backup software relies on the archive bit being properly
set/cleared, follow these instructions:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2006-September/125314.html

I might have missed something in there, but that should be enough to get you
on the right path.

If you have to keep Red Hat, you aren't going to be happy. Their packages
are old and in bad need of upgrading. While I was able to get an RHEL server
using those old packages properly joined to a 2003 domain, it was not
acceptable. I won't go into it. Just trust me on this one--if you want even
close to the functionality you want, you have to use newer packages. If you
do and keep Red Hat, you lose their support for those packages. Nice
delimma, huh?

Good luck.

Aaron Kincer