[Samba] Crippled file list on samba 3.0.23-c2. Debian Etch x64 (files randomly not showing up)

Guenter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Sat Nov 11 17:34:56 GMT 2006

Am Samstag, 11. November 2006 16:24 schrieb Henrik Cednert:
> Sorry to bugger you people. But no one have any suggestions about this?
>
> /Henrik
>
> neo at irry.com wrote:
> > Hi there people.
> >
> > My first post here at the list so I hope I havn't made any misstakes so
> > far and that I can write in such a way so you people understand me. =)
> >
> > The problem I have is that when I list folders on disks mouted with
> > "mount -t smbfs ..." the file lists of folders are crippled. What I mean
> > is that files are randomly missing in the lists even if they are there. A
> > refresh of the dir can help sometimes but most of the time the missing
> > files/files appear and some other files disappear. A huge problem here
> > since i work with Shake and pretty large file sequences.
> >
> > I was adviced at the IRC-channel to downgrade to an earlier version but
> > before I do that I wanted to try my luck here. I'm also in the middle of
> > a project here at work so I don't want to mess to much with the computer
> > just yet.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help that solves this.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Henrik C, Sweden

Hi Henrik,

the _kernel_ module 'smbfs' is not related to samba - so you are asking
in the wrong list!
Anyway - smbfs is _no_ longer maintained (for a long while now).
So you better use 'cifs' now, which is the successor of smbfs.
The mount options are a bit different - have a look at 'man mount.cifs'.

Please note, that the cifs userland helper 'mount.cifs' _is_ part of
the samba distribution.

Good luck.
Guenter Kukkukk