[Samba] Changing expired NT password

Jeremy Volkman jvolkman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 17:23:34 GMT 2006

I'm using a Linux workstation in an NT domain environment.  I ran into a problem
today where my NT password had expired and I could no longer use any services
(e.g., Outlook).  I found the domain controller host and attempted to use
smbpasswd -r <host> to change the password, however it simply returned
NT_STATUS_PASSWORD_EXPIRED (duh!).  After trying for a couple hours to change
the password from my Linux workstation, I finally found an XP machine and logged
in with my username and expired password.  XP proceeded to tell me that my
password had expired and must be changed.  I changed the password and now
everything is fine.

Is there a way to mimic the forced password change of the XP login with samba
tools?  I'd rather not have to find an empty XP machine each time my password
expires.

Similarly, is there a way to find out how many days I have before my password
expires?

Thanks,
Jeremy Volkman