[Samba] Winbind and AD groups containing groups

Charles J Gruener cjg9411 at rit.edu
Fri Nov 3 20:45:12 GMT 2006

I tried searching through the archives, but was unable to find anything
about this.

Everything regarding windbind and AD membership is working perfectly with
one exception.  Here's an example of what I'm experiencing:

A group called "department_users" contains two groups "department_faculty"
and "department_staff".  These two groups, "department_faculty" and
"department_staff" contain users.

'getent group department_faculty' returns:

department_faculty:x:9315:user1,user2,user3

'getent group department_staff' returns:

department_staff:x:9316:user4,user5,user6

'getent group department_users' returns:

department_users:x:9317:

which contains no users instead of user1 through user6.  Is this nesting,
recursion, whatever the correct term for it is, supported by samba?

I'm greatly over simplifying the situation I have here with this example.
I'm in an educational environment with over 50000 groups, most of which are
automatically populated based on course registration.  The answer to the
above should let me know if what I want to do is possible.

Thanks in advance,
Charles