[Samba] Join to ADS seems to succeed, then immediately fails

Robert Fraser rab.fraser at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 01:42:06 GMT 2006

Hi

I am on  samba 3.0.22 on Ubuntu 6.06, and am having a lot of trouble joining
an ADS domain.  The hostname is mail

Basically, if I clear out all the tdbs in /var, and remove the mail$ machine
account from AD, and do a kdestroy, then I do this:

# kinit Example at SERVICES.EXAMPLE.CO.NZ
password: ********
#net ads join
Using short domain name -- SERVICES
Joined 'MAIL' to realm 'SERVICES.EXAMPLE.CO.NZ'

it looks like the machine has successfully joined.  If I immediately do
this:

# net ads testjoin

I get this:

[2006/11/03 14:32:18, 0] utils/net_ads.c:ads_startup(191)
Nov  3 14:32:18 mail net:   ads_connect: Invalid credentials

I can get lots of data back if I go net ads user, net ads group, net ads
status, net ads info, but I can not get net ads testjoin to report a
successful join.  If I try to go on and get windind running, I keep getting
the "Invalid credentials" error messages.

Can anyone point me to a solution?

Many thanks
Rob