[Samba] what samba file do I need to change when manually changing gid in /etc/group file?

Urs Rau urs.rau at uk.om.org
Mon May 29 11:26:15 GMT 2006

I have a need to renumber some of my /etc/group numbers from below 100
to a value that is above 500. (e.g 88 -> 535, 91 -> 632, etc etc, about
9 changes in total)

If I had to do this in an earlier version of samba then I think the
correct files I would have to keep in sync would be /etc/group and
/etc/samba/smbpasswd, simply changing the gid from the value below 100
to it's new value above 500. And then of course run a script that does
those changes for all directories and files owned by that old low
numbered group against the filesystem.

But now that I am using samba samba-3.0.14a-2 it looks as if this
version no longer stores the gid in the smbpasswd file, as this file is
now empty. Does samba now build the group sid dynamically from the
values in /etc/group, or do I have to tell samba somehow, somewhere that
the gid value for the low numbered gid is now such and such higher
numbered value?

And while I am asking these questions, does anybody have such a group
number id migration script handy?

Thanks for any pointers.

Regards,

--