[Samba] sambaUnixIdPooldn

listserv.traffic at sloop.net listserv.traffic at sloop.net
Fri May 26 08:46:28 GMT 2006

Quick question:

In the Samba-by-example, (Chapter 5, Page 188 of PDF)

---quote---
4. Edit the /etc/smbldap-tools/smbldap.conf file so that the following information is changed from:

# Where to store next uidNumber and gidNumber available
sambaUnixIdPooldn="cn=NextFreeUnixId,${suffix}"

to read, after modification:
# Where to store next uidNumber and gidNumber available
#sambaUnixIdPooldn="cn=NextFreeUnixId,${suffix}"
sambaUnixIdPooldn="sambaDomainName=MEGANET2,dc=abmas,dc=biz"

---quote---

I don't understand what the purpose is, or more precisely what it is
this accomplishes. Could someone explain it to me?

I'm making good progress, but still hashing things out.

TIA
-Greg