[Samba] Adding machines and machine based logins

Julian Pilfold-Bagwell jpb at bordengrammar.kent.sch.uk
Wed May 24 11:57:18 GMT 2006

Hi All,

I am hoping to set up machine based logins on our Samba server (3.0.21c/RedHat
EL4). I have the following lines in the global section to my smb.conf:

[global]
        add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
        passdb backend = tdbsam:/etc/samba/passdb.tdb
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null -g \
machines %u

and use tdbsam as the password backend.

I've only just noticed though that any machine accounts that have been created
during the first attachment to the domain in Windows are not coming out in
the machines group. These machines have a primary group that is the same as
the machine name and I don't want to change them in case it has an adverse
effect.

So, the question here is that if i change the primary group of the machines
from say machine1$ to machines will that affect anything when I change the
login scripts e.g. from loginscript.bat to login.%m and will deleting the
existing primary group of a machine affect the info stored in tdbsam.

Also, any ideas why

        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null -g \
machines %u

is not setting the machines group to machines?

Thanks

Jools

--
J. Pilfold-Bagwell