[Samba] smbclient vs. smbmount -- discrepancy?

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Fri May 19 22:08:02 GMT 2006

Hi.  Using Debian smbclient 3.0.22 and smbmount 3.0.22, I've found an
oddity that I can't explain:  when I use smbclient, and log in to an XP
box's C$ share as administrator, if I try to go to
c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator
it tells me I don't have permissions; note that I can see stuff above
"Administrator" in the hierarchy.  If I try to visit the same location
after mounting it with "smbmount", it works just fine.  Is this a bug, or
is there some difference between the two that I should have figured out?

Thanks,

-Ken D'Ambrosio