[Samba] Safe to ignore this message ? -Attempt to bind using schannel without successful serverauth2

Paul S paulstechinfo at gmail.com
Fri May 19 17:07:02 GMT 2006

OS:  SLES 9
Samba Version:  3.0.20b-3.4-SUSE
Server is running in test mode, as a PDC

I find this message in my log files quite frequently, the majority coming
from one particluar machine (XP SP2):

[2006/05/19 10:35:06, 0] rpc_server/srv_pipe.c:api_pipe_bind_req(981)
  Attempt to bind using schannel without successful serverauth2
[2006/05/19 10:40:16, 0] rpc_server/srv_pipe.c:api_pipe_bind_req(981)
  Attempt to bind using schannel without successful serverauth2

The server seems to function properly so far, thus I am wondering if I can
safely ignore this message.

Workstations are able to join the domain and log in.  File sharing seems to
work well.  The speed and responsiveness of network browsing  is quite
impressive.  I have no complaints about functionality.

While researching this message, I found a post on the lists archives (Sun
Sep 11 18:53:19 GMT 2005, posted by Jeremy Allison) that seems to indicate
that this message is part of normal operation.

> I'm starting to think the correct fix is just to raise the debug
> level of the message in smbd so that people don't get worried by
> it - it seems to be part of normal operation ....

If anyone can confirm that this is part of normal operation, or shed some
light on what this means, I would appreciate it.  We have been using Samba
2.2.8a for a few years now, and entries to the log files are very
infrequent.  Perhaps the newer versions are just more chatty to the log
files.

If there is something wrong, I would like to deal with it before I go live
with the server.

Below is my smb.conf file, minus the shares.

Paul

-----------------------

[global]
   log level = 1
   syslog = 0
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 1024
   smb ports = 139

   workgroup = abcd
   netbios name = testsmb

   username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
   pam password change = Yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd '%u'
   passwd chat = *New*Password* %n\n \
      *Re-enter*new*password* %n\n *Password*changed*

   unix password sync = Yes
   map to guest = Bad User
   logon path =
   logon home =
   logon script = scripts\%U.bat
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s
/bin/false %m$
   domain logons = yes
   local master = yes
   wins support = yes