[Samba] configure a small local network

Ivan Ricotti ivan at elabor.homelinux.org
Tue May 16 10:42:36 GMT 2006

Hi to all,

I'm a newbie installing and configuring samba/ldap and so on... I'm looking for
help! :)

I have a small network:

° hosts:
- melo2 (WinXP Home)
- melo3 (WinXP Professional)
- melo4 (Debian)

° on melo4 I created 4 users using "smbldap-useradd":
- alice, bob, charles, dana
- I alse created a group "office" using "smbldap-groupadd" and added those users
to the gruop.

° on melo4 I have:
/home/office
  /blabla
  /etcetc

° On Windows clients:
- melo2 (WinXP-pro) is configured into the Domain Controller "MELOGRANO" so I
can login with all my users.
- melo3 (WinXP-home) replicate charles and dana users and partecipate to
"MELOGRANO" workgroup;

But...

1) I cannot share the folder: "/home/office":

drwxrwx---   5 root 513 4,0K 2006-05-15 15:23 office

I see the resource from windows clients but I cannot access to it! Windows
claims I don't have the right permission...
Asking:

melo4:/home# smbldap-groupshow office

I have:

dn: cn=office,ou=Groups,dc=MELOGRANO,dc=net
objectClass: posixGroup
cn: office
gidNumber: 2002
memberUid: alice,bob,charles,dana

but if I ask:

melo4:/home# smbldap-usershow alice

I have:

dn: uid=alice,ou=Users,dc=MELOGRANO,dc=net
objectClass: top,inetOrgPerson,posixAccount,shadowAccount,sambaSamAccount
cn: alice
sn: alice
uid: alice
uidNumber: 2011
gidNumber: 513
homeDirectory: /home/alice

-----------------

2) I cannot enter to charles and dana home on Server from the windows XP home
clients.

How can I see the home folders? When, on the windows clients, I try to add a
network resource I don't see the home in the list of melo4's shared.

This is my smb.conf:

# Global parameters
[global]
        dos charset = 850
        unix charset = ISO8859-1
        workgroup = MELOGRANO
        server string = %h server (Samba %v)
        map to guest = Bad User
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1/
        enable privileges = Yes
        pam password change = Yes
        log level = 1
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        printcap name = cups
        add user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -a -B1 -m "%u"
        add group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p "%g"
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m "%u" "%g"
        delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x "%u" "%g"
        set primary group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g "%g" "%u"
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=MELOGRANO,dc=net
        ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
        ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
        ldap passwd sync = Yes
        ldap suffix = dc=MELOGRANO,dc=net
        ldap user suffix = ou=Users
        invalid users = root
        printer admin = "@Print Operators"
        create mask = 0640
        directory mask = 0750
        printing = cups
        print command =
        lpq command = %p
        lprm command =
        case sensitive = No
        dont descend = /proc,/dev,/etc,/lib,/lost+found,/initrd

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        valid users = %U
        read only = No
        create mask = 0644
        directory mask = 0775
        browseable = No

[netlogon]
        comment = Network Logon Service
        path = /home/samba/netlogon
        browseable = No

[profiles]
        path = /home/samba/profiles
        valid users = %U, "@Domain Admins"
        force user = %U
        read only = No
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        profile acls = Yes
        browseable = No
        csc policy = disable

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /tmp
        create mask = 0700
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[print$]
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /var/lib/samba/printers
        include = /etc/samba/shares/office.conf

[office]
        comment = Melograno Shared Documents
        path = /home/office
        valid users = @office
        force group = @office
        read only = No
        profile acls = Yes

Thank you very much!
Ivan

--
Ivan Ricotti
eLabor sc - via G. Garibaldi 33, 56127 Pisa
email: ivan at elabor.homelinux.org
GnuPG KeyID: DFD581C5 - 13/11/2003