[Samba] Samba3 and OS X 10.4.6

John Arends john at johnarends.com
Fri May 12 02:18:56 GMT 2006

I have sort of an odd problem that I'm hoping someone can shed a
light on.

I brought up a brand new Fedora Core 4 box using the default
installation of Samba. The only change I made to smb.conf was to turn
on encrypting passwords, and then did an smbpasswd -a for my user
account and set a password.

Using Windows XP, or OS X 10.3.9, I can connect to smb://server and
be asked to authenticate, and then get a list of shares.

With 10.4.6 (I tried several machines) when trying to connect to
smb://server rather than giving me a list of shares or trying to get
me to authenticate, the progress bar on the connect to server dialog
"shimmers" basically forever.

Using 10.4.6 I can connect to specific shares using smb://server/
share without any problem. It only sits there when I do not specify a
share.

Using the same 10.4.6 machine, I can connect to a machine running
Win2003 server just fine using smb://server.

So basically this problem only exists when I use Tiger to connect to
a Samba server.

Has anyone heard about this? Any ideas?