[Samba] Write access doesn't grant delete access?!

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Fri May 12 00:21:08 GMT 2006

> > I think that's the 'sticky' attribute (that is normally used
> > for /tmp)

> Yep that is the one, but you need to check the sticky attribute on
> the containing directory...  (or as accessing user try to delete the
> file directly in Linux).

Yep, checked that - there are no sticky attributes anywhere in the whole
filesystem (the Samba share is on its own partition) and the only
'special' attribute I have used when creating the directory structure
is the SGID bit (if that's what chmod g+s is called) which means any
new files created are owned by the same group as the folder they're
created in (but even that attribute isn't used in the folder I'm having
trouble with.)  Apart from that though, there are no other unexpected
attributes.

I'm wondering whether there's a discrepancy in the Samba code that
causes the delete operation to check permissions in a slightly
different way to the write/modify code.  As far as I can tell, all the
filesystem permissions seem fine.

Cheers,
Adam.