[Samba] Best way to Upgrade Samba 3.014a

daniel arjona arjonad at genco.com
Wed May 10 18:23:05 GMT 2006

I installed Samba using the ISO disks included in the Debian installers. I
want to upgrade Samba any way.  Do you have any suggestion?

Daniel Arjona
Net Admin
GENCO Distribution Systems
http://www.genco.com/
8740 Robert Fulton Dr
Columbia, MD 21046
Ph: 410-872-0875 X12
Fax: 410-872-0877
arjonad at genco.com

                      Dennis B. Hopp
                      <dhopp at coreps.com        To:       daniel arjona <arjonad at genco.com>
                      >                        cc:       samba at lists.samba.org
                                               Subject:  Re: [Samba] Best way to Upgrade Samba 3.014a
                      05/10/2006 02:00
                      PM

On Wed, 10 May 2006 13:20:32 -0400, daniel arjona <arjonad at genco.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have Samba  3.014a-Debian in a server Debian 3.1 Release 1 Sarge.  The
> performance is pretty poor.
>
> My  LAN is running at 100mbits/sec. So even at 4 feet from the server I'm
> getting slow responses on my windoze 2000 pro computer from samba. It
> takes
> an eternity to copy files from one place to the other.  Also, I have
> several error messages and files corruption.

Samba may not be completely to blame.  A little more information would be
helpful.  How many users does this server handle?  How many of those users
are concurrent?  What type of files are generally stored (small text files,
office documents, large multimedia files, etc.)?  What are the server specs
(CPU, RAM, Disks)?  Are the Disks Mirrored, RAID 5, etc.?  What is the
server sitting at CPU/Memory usage wise?

> Could anybody tell me how to upgrade Samba?  I do not want to have new
> issues on my server.  Give me the best way to do it?

Did you compile samba by hand or did you use a .deb pkg?  I would backup
the configs and the /usr/lib/samba directory first.  If you compiled it by
hand, just grab the new source, recompile it (with the same options you
used the first time) and put the binaries in the appropriate location.  If
you use a .deb pkg, I would imagine you can use an update version and just
update the package.

--Dennis