[Samba] Performance issue on AIX when deleting files in a directory with a large number of files

Claus Lund clund at tax.state.vt.us
Wed May 10 17:14:08 GMT 2006

> > Well, it looks like a Samba problem to me (or maybe a compiler/compiler
> > optimization problem?). I'm trying to get Samba compiled using IBM's XLC
> > instead of GCC in the hopes that XLC might produce faster
> running binaries
> > ... but unfortunately that seems like a somewhat involved task (Samba
> > doesn't compile cleanly out of the box with XLC).
>
> If it only happens on AIX, it's not a Samba code logic problem, that's
> what I mean. I doubt modifying compiler flags will do anything about
> actions taking seconds to resolve - that's almost certainly a system
> problem (ie. JFS on AIX).
>
> Jeremy.

I agree that it's not a Samba logic problem ... more like a Samba porting
problem?
And I don't think we can just blame JFS2 and/or AIX either because deleting
files in that directory directly on the box or even through NFS is orders of
magnitudes faster (minutes vs days to delete all the files in a directory
with 150K files).

-Claus