[Samba] Performance issue on AIX when deleting files in a directory with a large number of files

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed May 10 17:06:40 GMT 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 12:29:53PM -0400, Claus Lund wrote:

> Well, then Windows Explorer is braindamaged as well (which is a claim I
> won't contest ;) )... because it's slow deleting files right through
> Explorer as well.

Yep - I completely agree Explorer is braindamaged. That's probably
the worst of the lot :-).

> Well, it looks like a Samba problem to me (or maybe a compiler/compiler
> optimization problem?). I'm trying to get Samba compiled using IBM's XLC
> instead of GCC in the hopes that XLC might produce faster running binaries
> ... but unfortunately that seems like a somewhat involved task (Samba
> doesn't compile cleanly out of the box with XLC).

If it only happens on AIX, it's not a Samba code logic problem, that's
what I mean. I doubt modifying compiler flags will do anything about
actions taking seconds to resolve - that's almost certainly a system
problem (ie. JFS on AIX).

Jeremy.