[Samba] Servers disappear from Network neighborhood

scott samba at preventionpartners.com
Tue May 9 20:33:32 GMT 2006

I am linux/samba newbie, so please take this with a grain of salt.  When I was first trying to get my Samba PDC running, I was obsessed about Network Neighborhood, and I spent a fair amount of time trying to understand how Samba communicated that data back to the clients.  Based on what your describing, it sounds like it could be master browser issue?  Maybe the PDC is having to fight it out with the member servers to be the master browser.  I think the samba options that can affect browsing are: os level, local master and domain master.

Here is some documentation on network browsing:
http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html

Hope this helps.

From: Philip Washington <phwashington at comcast.net>
Date:  Tue, 09 May 2006 14:51:23 -0500