[Samba] Servers disappear from Network neighborhood

Larry McElderry larry at ptcoupling.com
Tue May 9 20:23:55 GMT 2006

I had (and still do, really) a similar problem.  Has to do with nmb failing to respond.  When they disappear, try running
"smbcontrol nmbd ping" on the samba server and see if it responds with pong.

I have not yet figured out why nmbd stops responding.  The error logs have offered no clue.  BTW, samba is running on SuSe SLES 9.

Larry