[Samba] How to Change samba's PW from XP

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Sun May 7 05:27:39 GMT 2006

jayb wrote:

>I could really use a quick yes/no answer here. If answer yes
>a pointer to a Howto.
>
>I have a samba based file server running in workgroup mode with
>security = user
>
>XP User authentication is managed by a separate LDAP server.
>
>Is there a way from within XP such as  command utility, anything, I could use to
>update the samba server's password?
>
>RIght now, it a manual excerise to update the samba server password everytime the
>user changes his/her password.
>
>I see this question asked a lot but I just can't seem to fine an answer.
>
>When working as a PDC, what mechanism is used to update the user's password then?
>

>thanks
>
>jay

You should be able to change the password as per normal Windows usage if
Samba is using the LDAP server.

Password setting seems to be a two-step process. Firstly, Samba updates
its password then it uses a script to run the local passwd program to
change the local Linux/Unix password. If either fails, the password is
not updated (as far as I can tell).

Samba uses "expect" to test the prompts from passwd to feed it the
password and confirm completion.
I ran into a problem with this when my smb.conf password script didn't
match what my passwd program was sending out, preventing me from
changing password from Windows. :)