[Samba] Share Access

Donald W Watson dwatson at us.ibm.com
Thu May 4 22:25:01 GMT 2006

Could someone help me understand if what I'm seeing with share access is
correct?

On my samba domain I have two users (user1 and user2) and one share; the
share has attribute "writelist = user1".

On a linux machine I:
   mount the share with "mount -t cifs -o username=user1"
   successfully open a  file in the share for writing with the perl "open"
   function
   close the file
   umount the share
   mount the share with "mount -t cifs -o username=user2"
   unsuccessfully attempt to open a file in the share for writing with the
   perl "open" function
   umount the share
This is, I think, as expected.

However, on Windows2003, I:
   connect the share as user1
   unsuccessfully attempt to open the file for writing with vim
This seems inconsistent with the results on linux, and not what I expected.

Am I misinterpreting the expected results?  Thanks for any responses.

Sincerely,    Don Watson
Linux Technology and Solutions; Beaverton, OR
503-578-4861/TL: 775-4861; dwatson at us.ibm.com