[Samba] Windows to Linux Samba problems

Raymond Chan raychan at ucdavis.edu
Thu May 4 17:01:59 GMT 2006

Hi all,

I'm new to the list and found this to be the general place to ask questions,
but if I'm asking at the wrong place I apologize in advance and hope someone
can point me in the right direction.

I'm sort of a newbie w/ Samba, and have been having some strange issues.  I
have a CentOS Linux Server running Samba 3.0, and I am trying to allow all
my users to map their home directories to their Windows boxes.  I've been
testing this with my own user and another person's.  Half the time it works
fine, but the other half of the time, it keeps prompting me for the password
and I absolutely know that I am typing it in correctly.  To double check I
tried to set my password again w/ "smbpasswd" on the Linux server, and get
this error message:

machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the (anonymous) password change: Error was :
Account disabled.

I never explicitly disabled my account or the other user's, but we both get
this error.  I then use 'smbpasswd -e' to re-enable, and it works fine for a
day, and again it disables account again.  This re-enable and automatic
disable happens very frequently.  Here's the part of my smb.conf that
describes my home directories.  Note that also in my smb.conf doesn't yet
have extra security like hosts allow to limit samba connections to within
the LAN, etc.  :

[homes]

   comment = Home Directories

   browseable = no

   guest ok = no

   Read only = no

   public = no

   create mask = 0750

Does anyone have any ideas of why this is happening?  I plan to allow up to
100 users to map a samba connection to this server, is there a max number of
connections samba can take?  I'm not too worried about performance now
because I just want users to be able to have a nicely mapped drive so they
can drag files from their Windows desktop to the server if they need
(without the hassle of FTP), but most of the time it will just be an unused
connection.

Thanks in advance for everything,

Ray C.