[Samba] changing passwords from Windows XP Pro workstations

simo idra at samba.org
Thu Mar 30 20:11:13 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 14:31 -0500, Gary Dale wrote:
> re. 2) my current problem: your suggestion #2 worked. When "unix passwd
> synch" is commented out, I was able to change my Samba password. When it
> was set to "Yes", the password synch took forever, then failed silently.
> It looks like there is an issue with changing the Unix/Linux password
> that I have to resolve. It appears also that Windows may be waiting for
> a response such as is included in the passwd chat in By Example's
> "Example 3.4. 130 User Network with //tdbsam// [globals] Section". When
> I included the response, the Windows dialogue failed fairly quickly.

You need to check your password chat option, that is a very senitive
option that need to match exactly what your system asks on the command
line when you want to change a password. Failing to do that may led the
expect script to wait forever on a never coming input.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer