[Samba] changing passwords from Windows XP Pro workstations

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Thu Mar 30 21:31:50 GMT 2006

simo wrote:

>On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 14:31 -0500, Gary Dale wrote:
>

>>re. 2) my current problem: your suggestion #2 worked. When "unix passwd
>>synch" is commented out, I was able to change my Samba password. When it
>>was set to "Yes", the password synch took forever, then failed silently.
>>It looks like there is an issue with changing the Unix/Linux password
>>that I have to resolve. It appears also that Windows may be waiting for
>>a response such as is included in the passwd chat in By Example's
>>"Example 3.4. 130 User Network with //tdbsam// [globals] Section". When
>>I included the response, the Windows dialogue failed fairly quickly.
>>

>You need to check your password chat option, that is a very senitive
>option that need to match exactly what your system asks on the command
>line when you want to change a password. Failing to do that may led the
>expect script to wait forever on a never coming input.
>
>Simo.

Hey, you're good! That was exactly the problem. My original passwd chat
was almost correct, except that it ended with a "." field. That, I
gather, prevented it from reporting to Windows - hence the hang. I
changed the entire chat to one from the Samba By Example, which didn't
work on my system, but at least reported the failure. Changing the first
two fields back to my original, and correcting the third one, got it
humming along.

Thanks again Simo!