[Samba] changing passwords from Windows XP Pro workstations

simo idra at samba.org
Thu Mar 30 05:17:33 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 23:33 -0500, Gary Dale wrote:
> -----------------------------------
>
> OK, the logs aren't quite silent. Here's one when I tried to change my
> password from a workstation (the log fragment is from
> samba/log.<netbiosname> - log.nmbd and log.smbd are silent for the
> period). This time it came back with "you do not have permission to
> change your password" after only a few seconds. The other passwords I've
> been trying to change (and this password in previous attempts) have gone
> away for more than 15 minutes before the dialogue box closed (without
> changing the password):

Log level 0 is not that useful, you may raise it to 3 or 5 and see what
error is returned on a password change.

Anyway, for some masochistic reason I took the time to go back and see
your recent postings and ... well man, you really need to take a breath.

All your attempts to set up samba with LDAP have failed just because you
do not understand the openLdap ACL model and, more simply, you failed to
do basic things like defining the same dn as ldap manager in slapd.conf
and smb.conf (as the documentation clearly states).

Anyway you got back to tdbsam, fine, it is the simpler option.

Now can you check the smb.conf you posted earlier today and:

1. Raise the log level

2. comment out "password program", "password chat" and "unix password
sync" so that we are sure they are not set up wrongly

3. tell me how "add group script" and "add user to group script" can
possibly ever work (unless the text of the conf has been mangled the
first misses the only meaningful parameter which is the group name and
the second has a wild back tick ...)

And then also "invalid users" and "admin users" are in conflict about
root and printing is set to cups yet you try to define a mysterious "lpq
command = %p"

I agree that one not need to be a developer to set up things, but at
least, please, check carefully the configuration file AND the logs
before shouting against the hard work of other people and claiming the
documentation is wrong.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce