[Samba] changing passwords from Windows XP Pro workstations

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Mar 30 05:04:47 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 23:33 -0500, Gary Dale wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> >>I've followed the Samba by example in this case. It  was not very
> >>helpful. Between the typos, omissions, errors, and general lack of
> >>content, it's hard to get anything to work following it. Sorry to be so
> >>negative about it, but it seems to assume that if you just install the
> >>packages, things work.
> >>
> >>Now a plain vanilla Debian Sarge system is hardly esoteric, but my
> >>experience has been that things only work if you are doing a virgin
> >>setup. In my case, Samba was originally vampired from my old W2K server
> >>and I've always had the password problem. Trying to install LDAP on a
> >>system that previously had a not-quite-working tdbsam backend also isn't
> >>something that the howto writers seem to have tried.
> >>
> >>The other howto I followed was one of several that were written
> >>specifically for people trying to get Samba+LDAP to work on a Debian
> >>system. After several days of trying to get it to work, even following
> >>idealx.org's howto, it still wouldn't. So I ripped everything out and
> >>went back to a basic Samba setup without LDAP. And now I'm back to the
> >>same old problem I had before - users can't change their passwords.
> >>
> >>And yes, my current setup was following the Samba by Example - html
> >>form. I also have the dead-tree Samba Howto collection. According to
> >>them, I have a working system.  :)
> >>
> >>The basic "by example" says in some very elegant story telling, after
> >>assuming that you have Samba installed, to smbpasswd -a root, map the
> >>Administrator account to it, add some groupmaps, stir in some users and
> >>voila, everything works. My setup passes the validation and the
> >>troubleshooting. It works, except that it doesn't.
> >>
> >>Again, I'll admit that this probably does work on a fresh system. I've
> >>set up Samba PDCs from scratch before without problems. However, it
> >>doesn't seem to want to work on this existing server, even after I
> >>sacrificed my old accounts vampired from W2K to try to get this working.
> >>I shouldn't have to rebuild my entire server just to be able to change
> >>passwords!
> >>
> >>Finally, you need to recognize that Debian does things its way. It has
> >>installation scripts that ask you questions up front and put the answers
> >>in multiple files scattered across your system. Samba by Example doesn't
> >>actually tell you what to put where or why. In fact, it's actually
> >>difficult to tell exactly which program or file you need to be using at
> >>any given moment. We're not all Samba developers, after all. SWAT,
> >>smbpasswd, pdbedit, etc. all seem to do the similar things but heaven
> >>help the poor user who's trying to find out when or why you should use
> >>one over the other.
> >>
> >>What I'm basically trying to say is you can't assume that everyone is
> >>going to get to place by a particular route. Debian howtos are useful
> >>for those of us with Debian-based systems because they give Debian
> [...]
if I was going to guess...I think your problems are...

http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba3-ByExample/small.html#id2525330

see items #3 through #7

you don't have a passwd chat script as I recall. That's probably
important.

your setup should track this setup as I see it.

http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba3-ByExample/secure.html

since you have no interest in advancing your skills, count me out next
time unless you learn to ask simple questions. The simple truth is, if
you want know little, point and click Windows network administration,
you are probably better off using a Microsoft Windows server.

My interest is in helping people that actually are interested in
learning something, yes gasp, those that actually do want to become
expert. Lastly, I would heavily suggest you forget about LDAP until your
attitude changes because it is hostile to administrators that don't want
to become knowledgdable.

Craig