[Samba] changing passwords from Windows XP Pro workstations

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Mar 30 01:25:53 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 17:36 -0500, Gary Dale wrote:
> Back to square 1!  I stripped out my unsuccessful attempts to get Samba
> working with LDAP on my Debian Sarge server and am back with a tdbsam
> backend. I actually tried to purge as much of the old Samba & LDAP as I
> could then reinstalled fresh. This included removing the Windows groups
> and users and even the old tdbsam data.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm back where I started - users can't change their own
> passwords using the Windows password change dialogue. Their system will
> go away for a very long time (more than 15 minutes) then silently fail
> to change the password.
>
> For those not familiar with Debian Sarge, it uses Samba 3.0.14a (Debian)
> on a 2.6.8 kernel. This should mean that this is NOT the old Windows
> security patch issue.
>
> I've attached my smb.conf (minus the shares definitions) if that helps.
>
> Also, for what it's worth, the user accounts are all in Domain Users and
> users. All but mine use /bin/false as the login shell (but none of us
> can change passwords). My account is also in Domain Admins - and I can
> add machine accounts with it.
>
> Any ideas anyone?
----
I kept my mouth shut because you were following someone's step by step
and not the samba official documentation.

If you want to follow the Samba By Example, methodology, you will
probably find a lot more people willing to help.

Changing passwords seems to only require that samba, smbldap-tools be
properly configured for your ldap setup and a script referenced in your
smb.conf

The smb.conf you attached of course has nothing to do with LDAP and it
isn't clear what you are trying to do.

I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with the Samba By Example
book (dead tree form) or pdf or html from the samba.org web site and
figure out what you are trying to do so someone could actually help.

Craig