[Samba] changing passwords from Windows XP Pro workstations

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Wed Mar 29 22:36:52 GMT 2006

Back to square 1!  I stripped out my unsuccessful attempts to get Samba
working with LDAP on my Debian Sarge server and am back with a tdbsam
backend. I actually tried to purge as much of the old Samba & LDAP as I
could then reinstalled fresh. This included removing the Windows groups
and users and even the old tdbsam data.

Unfortunately, I'm back where I started - users can't change their own
passwords using the Windows password change dialogue. Their system will
go away for a very long time (more than 15 minutes) then silently fail
to change the password.

For those not familiar with Debian Sarge, it uses Samba 3.0.14a (Debian)
on a 2.6.8 kernel. This should mean that this is NOT the old Windows
security patch issue.

I've attached my smb.conf (minus the shares definitions) if that helps.

Also, for what it's worth, the user accounts are all in Domain Users and
users. All but mine use /bin/false as the login shell (but none of us
can change passwords). My account is also in Domain Admins - and I can
add machine accounts with it.

Any ideas anyone?