[Samba] Samba LDAP rootpw error

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Mon Mar 27 01:47:58 GMT 2006

Matt Richards wrote:

>:) glad its working, hehe er.
>ldap_connect_system: Failed to retrieve password from secrets.tdb
>
>from the http://samba.idealx.org/smbldap-tools.en.html doc ...
>
>don't forget to also set the samba account password in secrets.tdb file :
>
>smbpasswd -w samba
>
>... from man smbpasswd ...
>
>       -w password
>              This parameter is only available if Samba has been compiled
>with
>              LDAP support. The -w switch is used to specify the  password
>              be  used with theldap admin dn. Note that the password is
>stored
>              in the secrets.tdb and is keyed off  of  the  admin's  DN.
>This
>              means that if the value of ldap admin dn ever changes, the
>pass-
>              word will need to be manually updated as well.
>
>HTH
>
>Matt.

I found section 8.2 in the text about changing the administrative
account. I followed the directions to change it from admin to samba (the
samba-access.conf file is now a lot larger) and I now seem to have some
kind of connection. However, when I try the smbpasswd -a root, I get errors:

semper:/var/lib/ldap# smbpasswd -a root
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
ldapsam_modify_entry: Failed to add user dn=
uid=root,ou=Users,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org with: Insufficient access
        no write access to parent
ldapsam_add_sam_account: failed to modify/add user with uid = root (dn =
uid=root,ou=Users,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org)
Failed to add entry for user root.
Failed to modify password entry for user root