[Samba] Samba LDAP rootpw error

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Mon Mar 27 04:02:15 GMT 2006

Further to my previous message: I've gone over section 8.1 of
http://samba.idealx.org/smbldap-tools.en.html, which shows some working
.conf files, and put back a few things the way I'd previously had them.
The example files use Manager while I use admin is the main thing. I've
kept samba in smb.conf however. Because there is now a samba user in the
LDAP database, this seems to work now.

However, I still can't do smbpasswd -a root. I'm still getting:

semper:/etc/ldap# smbpasswd -a root
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
ldapsam_modify_entry: Failed to add user dn=
uid=root,ou=Users,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org with: Insufficient access
        no write access to parent
ldapsam_add_sam_account: failed to modify/add user with uid = root (dn =
uid=root,ou=Users,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org)
Failed to add entry for user root.
Failed to modify password entry for user root

I have a samba-access.conf file that is included in slapd.conf that
combines the 8.2 samba uid stuff with a shorter list from the original
howto I was following. I've attached it in case it helps.

An ldap search gives the following results:
semper:/etc/ldap# ldapsearch -D cn=admin,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org -b
dc=rahim-dale,dc=org -h 127.0.0.1 -x -W ""
Enter LDAP Password:
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <dc=rahim-dale,dc=org> with scope sub
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting:
#

# rahim-dale.org
dn: dc=rahim-dale,dc=org

# admin, rahim-dale.org
dn: cn=admin,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org

# Users, rahim-dale.org
dn: ou=Users,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org

# Groups, rahim-dale.org
dn: ou=Groups,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org

# Computers, rahim-dale.org
dn: ou=Computers,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org

# Idmap, rahim-dale.org
dn: ou=Idmap,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org

# rahim-dale, rahim-dale.org
dn: sambaDomainName=rahim-dale,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org

# Administrator, Users, rahim-dale.org
dn: uid=Administrator,ou=Users,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org

# nobody, Users, rahim-dale.org
dn: uid=nobody,ou=Users,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org

# Domain Admins, Groups, rahim-dale.org
dn: cn=Domain Admins,ou=Groups,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org

# Domain Users, Groups, rahim-dale.org
dn: cn=Domain Users,ou=Groups,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org

# Domain Guests, Groups, rahim-dale.org
dn: cn=Domain Guests,ou=Groups,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org

# Domain Computers, Groups, rahim-dale.org
dn: cn=Domain Computers,ou=Groups,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org

# Administrators, Groups, rahim-dale.org
dn: cn=Administrators,ou=Groups,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org

# Print Operators, Groups, rahim-dale.org
dn: cn=Print Operators,ou=Groups,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org

# Backup Operators, Groups, rahim-dale.org
dn: cn=Backup Operators,ou=Groups,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org

# Replicators, Groups, rahim-dale.org
dn: cn=Replicators,ou=Groups,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org

# samba, Users, rahim-dale.org
dn: uid=samba,ou=Users,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 19