[Samba] Samba + cups = raw postscript output

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Mar 6 00:14:19 GMT 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 08:13 +0000, Dave Smith wrote:
> Hi, I think this is a samba problem but I'm not 100% sure :)
>
> When I am printing with the Cups 6 driver from windows to samba, to
> cups to my printer, only the postscript commands are coming out, raw.
>
> The cups log file says it's seeing application/vnd.cups-raw, and I had
> a look at a tcp dump of packets going to port 631, and indeed they do
> confirm that the IPP port is being told this.
>
> So, is samba passing the incorrect type to cups? Or could someone tell
> me the process that data travels from hitting samba to get to cups?
> I've looked a the cups source code but I didn't spot the API that samba
> uses to communicate with it.
>
> I have cups 1.1.22 and samba 3.0.10 on Redhat ES4.
>
> What should I be looking for? I see that the data being passed around
> appears to be valid postscript, as it starts with %!PS-Adobe-3.0
>
> Please cc me in any replies.
----
Not sure of what exactly you are referring to with cups driver...are you
using Adobe Postscript printer driver and cups generated PPD and
printing to \\samba_server\printer_share ?

if so, you don't want to have the 'raw' option enabled on the cups
printer at all (comment out the 'raw' lines in /etc/cups/mime.types
and /etc/cups/mime.convs and restart cups).

If you are referring to printing directly from Windows to port 631 on
the RHEL ES4 system, this has nothing to do with Samba at all

Craig