[Samba] Samba + cups = raw postscript output

Dave Smith david.smith at mercyships.org
Sat Mar 4 08:13:36 GMT 2006

Hi, I think this is a samba problem but I'm not 100% sure :)

When I am printing with the Cups 6 driver from windows to samba, to
cups to my printer, only the postscript commands are coming out, raw.

The cups log file says it's seeing application/vnd.cups-raw, and I had
a look at a tcp dump of packets going to port 631, and indeed they do
confirm that the IPP port is being told this.

So, is samba passing the incorrect type to cups? Or could someone tell
me the process that data travels from hitting samba to get to cups?
I've looked a the cups source code but I didn't spot the API that samba
uses to communicate with it.

I have cups 1.1.22 and samba 3.0.10 on Redhat ES4.

What should I be looking for? I see that the data being passed around
appears to be valid postscript, as it starts with %!PS-Adobe-3.0

Please cc me in any replies.

Thanks,
Dave Smith