[Samba] What is the best Linux version for Samba

Michael J Barber MJBarber at Hearst.com
Thu Jun 29 20:41:11 GMT 2006

Just about any distribution can provide great performance.  However, it is
true that some are faster "out of the box" than others.  By that I mean a
default install will give you reasonable performance, while with some
distro's a great deal of tweaking can/should be done to get the best
performance.

If you are familiar enough with Linux to not require a gui then run with
command line only.  It frees up alot of resources (especially memory) and
will help your system move along quite nicely.

Filesystems - There are 4 big file systems for Linux - ext3, reiserFS,
XFS, and JFS (there are other but these are the most common).  Each file
system has its strengths and weaknesses and with that comes differences in
speed.

Partitions - how you configure your partitions can affect performance as
well....for example, if you have raid and can configure a separate array
just for your samba shares then this will improve performance

Samba - different versions and different configurations will vary your
performance greatly.

So, to summarize, there is no easy answer to your question.  Many Linux
nuts... I mean enthusiasts will point you to Debian or Slackware or
Gentoo... others will point you to more main stream distro's such as
Mandriva, SuSE, Fedora, Ubuntu... in the end pick the one you feel the
most comfortable with and stick with it.  Get on the newsgroups for that
distro.

For what it is worth, I currently use SuSE.  I used to use Arch, Red Hat,
Mandriva, Slackware, and Fedora.  They all work.

Michael J Barber
Computer Services Administrator
WPTZ/WNNE
Heart-Argyle Television