[Samba] Roaming profile error

Sensei senseiwa at mac.com
Sat Jun 24 17:36:19 GMT 2006

On Jun 24, 2006, at 04:13pm, Sensei wrote:

> Hi everybody! I'm a samba rookie, and I'm trying to make my own
> roaming profiles.
>
> The situation is simple, a single debian samba server and a single
> windows xp client, with the signorseal value set to 0. I have my
> unix users with their home directories in /home/username, and I'd
> like them to have a windows login. Right now I don't care about
> mixing unix and windows files.
>
> My smb.conf is this [...]

I respond myself: I was missing the home sharing.

===BEGIN===
[global]
workgroup = WIN.EXAMPLE.EDU
netbios name = SMB1
server string = Samba Domain Master
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /tmp '%u'
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m '%u'
domain logons = yes
preferred master = yes
local master = yes
inherit permissions = yes
inherit acls = yes

[netlogon]
comment = Samba Domain Login Service
path = /home/%U
valid users = %S
read only = no

[profiles]
comment = Users Profiles Service
path = /home/%U
valid users = %S
read only = no
guest ok = no
writable = yes
browsable = no

[homes]
comment = Users Home Directories
path = /home/%U
valid users = %S
read only = no
guest ok = no
writable = yes
browsable = yes
====END====

At the end of this quest, I've got 3 questions :)

The first is the same I asked in my post: is it possible to avoid
using root into samba to join a domain?

The second is this: I'm getting the famous ``network name not found''
sometimes when logging in and out with the same profile. Is there a
way of avoiding this? It's not always, and I didn't play that much to
recognize a pattern...

The last is about the notepad starting upon login. I solved by
removing as MS says, so deleting the infamous Desktop.ini files from
Default User and All Users. Do you recommend this practice before
joining a domain?

Thanks!!

--
Sensei <senseiwa at mac.com>

The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears it is true.      [J. Robert Oppenheimer]