[Samba] Second SAMBA Server different NETBIOS alias and shares for ClearCase

Eric Boehm boehm at nortel.com
Wed Jun 21 16:42:15 GMT 2006

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 11:51:10AM -0400, Gary Dale wrote:

    Gary> That sounds like a fairly typical use of Samba. The easiest
    Gary> way to do this is to use the SWAT wizard to make the server
    Gary> a member server. Being a member server means that domain
    Gary> authentication is handled by a domain controller, not by the
    Gary> member server.

I doubt that Raymond/Patrick will be successful in speeding up
ClearCase builds. I've had extensive experience with Samba and
Clearcase.

Are you serving VOBs or VIEWs via Samba? VOBs shouldn't be an issue
although LDAP authentication might be a problem. We usually pass the
authentication to the domain controller (security = DOMAIN)

If you are serving dynamic VIEWs, forget it. Builds will always be
extremely slow. I've seen this problem with SAMBA and NAS using
CIFS. You are better off using local storage or accepting the slowness.

    Gary> Kdeiss, Raymond E. wrote:
    >>  We might not have been clear in our question. I will try to
    >> explain what we are trying to do.
    >>
    >> We have a SAMBA Server (Solaris) utilizing an LDAP backend for
    >> user authentication. The Samba server serves PCs for
    >> authentication and it serves Samba filesystem shares. We want
    >> to be able to create a second samba server (Solaris) that can
    >> be a member of the domain and also serves shares to PCs and
    >> only serves shares to PC. The second SAMBA server does not need
    >> to be responsible for PC logging / Authentication.
    >>
    >> Is that possible and have can I make that second UNIX server a
    >> member of the domain?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Raymond Kdeiss
    >>

    >> -----Original Message----- From: Gary Dale
    >> [mailto:garydale at torfree.net] Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006
    >> 4:20 PM To: Hoferer, Patrick K.  Cc: samba at lists.samba.org;
    >> Bailey, Alonza; Kdeiss, Raymond E.  Subject: Re: [Samba] Second
    >> SAMBA Server different NETBIOS alias and shares for ClearCase
    >>
    >> Hoferer, Patrick K. wrote:
    >>

    >>> I have a SAMBA Server utilizing an LDAP backend for user
    >>> authentication and it works great unless I use ClearCase. When
    >>> ClearCase is used the compilation time for our code is slowed
    >>> down to a crawl and the ClearCase application is rendered
    >>> nearly useless. As a test fix my boss wants me to create a
    >>> second SAMBA server to be used for only the ClearCase server.
    >>>
    >>> I don't know if this will work, but I may be able to
    >>> accomplish my task if I set the "os level" lower than my
    >>> primary SAMBA server set the SID to the same as my existing
    >>> server. I then change the "netbios alias" to "clearcase". I'll
    >>> then add my views and vobs through either NFS or SANS client
    >>> to the ClearCase SAMBA server. This way if a workstation using
    >>> ClearCase needs to use the \\clearcase\views share it will
    >>> utilize the ClearCase SAMBA server not the primary server. All
    >>> authentication should remain through my LDAP server since I
    >>> did not change the SIDs for my server or user accounts.
    >>>
    >>> If this plan sound feasible please let me know. If it sounds
    >>> like I may break my existing architecture let me know. If you
    >>> have better suggestions I am looking for any help.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you for your time, Patrick Hoferer
    >>>

    >> I don't think you're being very clear. In Windows terms, you
    >> log into a domain, not a server. It sounds like you want to
    >> maintain the same authentication but split an application off
    >> onto a different server to improve performance. However, it's
    >> not clear if you want to use Samba or NFS to share the
    >> files. I'm going to assume that the new server will be
    >> providing file services through Samba.
    >>
    >> If you want the ClearCase server to use the same
    >> authentication, just make it a member server in your existing
    >> domain. Stop the ClearCase Samba shares on the old server and
    >> start them on the new one.
    >>

    Gary> -- To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and
    Gary> read the instructions:

Eric M. Boehm                  /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
boehm at nortel.com               \ /  No HTML or RTF in mail
                                X   No proprietary word-processing
Respect Open Standards         / \  files in mail