[Samba] Samba not working correctly after upgrade

Guðmundur Ólafsson aquatopia at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 14:44:43 GMT 2006

Hello

I just upgraded from Fedora Core 2 (Samba 3.0.10) to Debian Sarge
(Samba 3.0.14). The Samba server is being used as a PDC with Roaming
Profiles for about 25-30 Windows XP clients. Before the upgrade
everything worked perfectly but afterwards I've had some minor issues
and been able to sort them out. However I have two remaining problems
and I've spent quite a bit of time on them without finding a solution.
I suspect that these two problems relate to one another but I'm not
sure.

The first problem is that I tried adding a computer to the domain
(rejoining), that worked just fine, but when I log on it seems that
Windows doesn't read the users registry from the profile. So any
settings like background, keyboard layouts, various things from the
Start menu, etc are not set. Windows does not complain about being
unable to read the users profile off the server.

The second problem is such that a user that has not been logged onto a
Windows XP machine before can't log on. If people log on to their own
machines (where their profile is available locally), that works just
fine. But a user which has not logged on before gets a message that
the username / password is not recognized.

I have checked and made sure that the users have the applicable
permissions on their profiles. I am using the same /etc/samba/* files
for samba as it was on the older setup, except I have added profile
acls to the [profiles] share/section. The server is using smbpasswd
and I will be switching over to ldap shortly, but I have to work out a
few issues concerning that before I can make the switch.

The smb.conf looks like this:

[global]
        workgroup = JORDMIL
        server string = Samba Server
        password server = jordmil
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        log level = 3
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        time server = Yes
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        logon script = %U.bat
        logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
        logon drive = G:
        logon home = \\jordmil\%U
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 255
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
        idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
        hosts allow = 192.168.1.

[homes]
        comment = %u's Home Directory
        invalid users = root, admin, bin, sys, daemon, adm, lp, sync,
shutdown, halt, mail, news, uucp, operator, games, gopher, nobody,
ftp, rpm, vcsa, nscd, sshd, rpc, rpcuser, nfsnobody, pcap, mailnull,
smmsp, apache, squid, webalizer, dbus, xfs, named, ntp, gdm
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[netlogon]
        comment = Network Logon Service
        path = /home/netlogon
        browseable = No
        share modes = No

[Profiles]
        path = /home/profiles
        read only = No
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700
        profile acls = Yes
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        print command = lpr -P %p -o raw %s -r
        browseable = No

[homedirs]
        comment = Hjemmedrev for JORDMIL brugere
        path = /home/homelinks
        read only = No

[backup]
        comment = Daglig backup
        path = /mnt/backup

[intra]
        comment = Faelles filer
        path = /home/intra
        read only = No
        force create mode = 0775
        force directory mode = 06775

If you can give me any hints or suggestions that would be of great help.

best regards,
Guðmundur Bjarni Ólafsson