[Samba] new 'msdfs root = yes' default value (was 3.0.23 - different errors on solaris 8)

Ralf Gross Ralf-Lists at ralfgross.de
Mon Jul 31 09:10:29 GMT 2006

Me said:

>> Even if I uncomment all lines starting with vfs... I get the errors.
>>
>> do_list: [\*] NT_STATUS_OBJECT_PATH_NOT_FOUND
>> Error in dskattr: NT_STATUS_OBJECT_PATH_NOT_FOUND
>
> Update:
>
> This error seems only to occure with smblient! After upgrading samba I
> usually let the new smbd first run on port xxxx so that I can test it with
> smbclient -p xxxx. I didn't check 3.023(a) with windows due to the problem
> I encountered with smbclient. Now I checked 3.0.23a with a windows client
> too, and have no problems to get the directory listing!
>
> smbclient 3.0.23(a) on Solaris and smbclient 3.0.22 on Ubuntu both fail to
> get the listing with the NT_STATUS_OBJECT_PATH_NOT_FOUND error.
>
> smblcient 3.0.10-1.fc3 (fedora core3) and 3.0.14a-Debian are both working!
>
> I opend bug 3972.

If I explicitly add 'msdfs root = no' to my smb.conf, I have no problem to
access shares with smblcient - regardless of which smbclient version I
use. The server does not use a dfs tree and I didn't use any dfs option
before.

It is mentioned in the 3.0.23(a) release notes, that the default value for
'msdfs root' now has changed.

http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.0.23a.html
msdfs root                              Changed default   Yes

Is it the expected behavior of recent smbclient versions to give the
NT_STATUS_OBJECT_PATH_NOT_FOUND error message if _no_ msdfs option is set in
the smb.conf file? Thus I have to add this option even if I don't use dfs at
all?